lichess.org
Donate

Chess marathon tournament

I never would have suspected that to happen ... it's surprising to me how volatile the Lichess servers in fact are. We shouldn't wish for more growth at the playerbase if that only causes the entire system to crumble.
which means thibault needs better/more servers.. hope people notice that even small donation would make a huge difference in the stability of the site. I mean, even a dollar or two monthly recurring is huge if it sums up, and I think every single one of us can afford that amount. may our favourite chess website never die :D
I think that this was a spectacular tragicomedy. Everyone's ratings got averaged, effectively. The server's panic attack started bad, and got progressively even worse: people unable to be matched soon became trapped in the tournament and hemorrhaged rating points from being disconnected over and over. And the person who might, nay probably, would have taken home the trophy, TheNewMeta, a top blitz player on this site, rage-deleted his account.

As for the source of the problem, I doubt it has anything to do with the number of people on the site -- there were under 1500 online, and this site regularly has over 3000 without a hiccup; I'm guessing that the tournament system couldn't handle the sheer number of games that are created by the existence of a tournament with such a large number of people over such a long period of time. In which case, this was an excellent (if a bit destructive) stress test on that code.
Thibault, will you post any news here? Do you know already if it was only hardware problem (that would be fixed by better hardware) or if it was a pure software failure or something inbetween? Also I'd like to have such a tournament more often than planned simply because one can't play all of them anyway (there's that thing called real life ;)).
The tournament code just doesn't scale. It's a software issue, not hardware.
Thibault,are you saying that you are the genius who have been develloping lichess all those years,building it all,creating such tournament , but you can not build a marathon whithout making mistake in the code? SERIOUSLY I AM LEAVING THIS SITE FOR EVER. (and i know what i'm talking about,because i'm also a genius!)

(was a joke,thanks again for the wonderful website,i'm here everyday that really help me to keep calm and relax,making my life a little bit more confortable! :) )
It's sometimes difficult to foresee scaling issues. Code that works great for 10 or 50 participants can suddenly start consuming all available resources when the same structure is applied 1000 times. The reason? Big O. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_O_notation

Looking forward to the next one!

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.